Thursday, September 10, 2009

SB and Folsom


Sorry it's been a while since my last post. I had a couple good low key races at Santa Barbara and Folsom. Both races were nearly mirror images of each other: I got a solid lead on the swim, extended it on the bike and got to enjoy the run(didn't think I would ever say that!) Although I did get lost on the run course at both races...I really need to stop day dreaming when I race! I know I wanted to get in a solid workout at the races, but I especially cut it close at SB. All counting SB and Folsom were the 6th and 7th time I have gotten lost on the run course. I figure one day that Berkeley education of mine will kick in and I will get some common sense. For example, when you start running next to a woman in the race riding a mountain bike and you realize you are on the bike course instead of the run course, it’s time to turn around!

As a side note, Sb was my first tri every back in 1999. I don’t know what I was thinking attempting a long course triathlon at 14. All I remember was that it was the most miserable run on my life... yes even worse than wildflower this year. I probably trained about 1/10th of the total volume I do today and my body was cramping up everywhere. More than one person was kind enough to ask me how I was doing and/or offer me some salt tablets/gels on the run. I probably walked 6 of the 10 miles that day. I can tell you that the run this time around was a whole lot more fun(minus the 5 or so minutes I was inadvertently off course). Thanks to my buddy Chris for the pic from SB.

Also, August was officially my biggest training block of the year, hopefully setting me up nicely for my last three races of the year. I am happy that I got through it injury free and am currently enjoying my taper for Pacific Grove. I do love tapers!

No comments:

Post a Comment