Sunday, May 17, 2009

Last swim meet of the year/first half

Over the past weekend I attended the CCS HS swim meet. Wow! There was some incredibly fast swimming! Almost every event had a new CCS record. Watching a sub 20 second 50 free by shayne fleming was insane. Also a freshman girl went 1:57 and change in the 200 IM and 4:43 in the 500. Absolutely ridiculous!
Overall, I was very happy with how the SI swimmers did. Pieter got third in both the 200 and 100 frees with a 1:38.55 and 45.35 respectively. If it was any other year, he probably would have won both events with those times. Both were SI records and All- American automatics. USC will be very happy to have him! The boys also set SI records and AAA times in both free relays. And, Brad went 4:40 and change in his 500. Overall, 6 SI records went down over the weekend(all free events from the 50 to the 500 and both free relays) and the boys team took 5th overall. I believe this was their highest finish ever. Each and every guy set prs in their individual events and the relays were really fast as well! Big thanks to Xterra for hooking up the team with the super fast Velocity Red Poolsuit in time for the meet.
On a personal note, I raced(well more like barely survived) my first half ironman at Wildflower. Outside of the swim, which I exited the water in 4th, the race went pretty badly. I had no legs on the bike and had my nagging calf injury flare up again on the run at mile 2. I actually went back to the finish area with chips in my hand when I told myself that I had to finish my first half and tuned back around and walked/jogged the 13 miles. For future reference, one thing is for sure, if I am not 100% before a half, there is no use even toeing the line. I mean I blow up in Olympics pretty badly, but this took it to a whole new level. My body was wrecked for about 2 weeks and is just starting to come around again. Next up for me is the ITU race in Austin on Memorial Day. It’s my first ITU race of the year and I need to have a good showing!

No comments:

Post a Comment